This position functions as General Production for the Finishing Department or Web Press Department. Duties might include: feeding the stitcher pockets with the correct product and ensuring the operation runs smoothly; sorting product by zip codes and checking the quality of the stitched and addressed product; jogging product off the press and stacking sections/books evenly in a timely fashion on pallets or skids. The position also includes working with others in the company to provide the highest level of customer service.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Follow all safety policies and guidelines.
- Help to reach company’s customer service, profit, sales, and growth goals.
- Continually communicate with the finishing operator on the performance of the current job.
- Stack books evenly on a pallet/skid.
- Insert the two skid tags in the shrink-warp of the pallets/skids for shipping.
- Make sure information is correct on the tags for the skids or mail cages.
- Tie bundles together straight and even.
- Watch for jam-ups and miss-feeds on the machine.
- Efficiently feed the pockets with the printed materials as needed.
- Move pallets or skids as needed.
- Inspect product brought to the machine to ensure accuracy.
- When reading, verify all information on the address is correct and legible.
- Check finished product for trimmed off type and ensure books are stitched and trimmed straight.
- Shrink-wrap pallets/skids for shipping.
- Verify correct information is placed on the pallet, skid or cage tag.
- Insert skid tags in the shrink-wrap of the pallets/skids for shipping.
- Ensure information is correct on the tags for the skids or mail cages.
- Changing strap reel.
- Keep area around the machines and skids clean of unnecessary items.
- Move pallets or skids to and from the work area.
- Stack signatures evenly on pallet/skid.
- Assist in changing paper rolls, washing press blankets, and performing preventative maintenance.
- Check overall quality of the signatures.
- Continually communicate with the press operator on the performance of the current job.
- Keep the area around the machines clean of unnecessary items.
- Follow department operational policies and procedures.
- Perform all other duties assigned and those that may be necessary to achieve company and departmental goals.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactory. The requirements listed below are a representation of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
- Ability to lift, bend and stand for extended periods of time.
- Working knowledge of printing, finishing, and related processes.
- Working knowledge of the department equipment.
- Must be flexible and able to work OT as needed.
- Good oral communication skills.
- Must be able to work well with diverse groups or individuals.
- Must be able to carry out multi-task projects simultaneously.
- Must be able to understand and clearly communicate the company’s vision.
- Regular and consistent attendance.
Education and/or Experience
High School Diploma; or GED; or 2 or more years of printing/Finishing experience; and/or vocational training in the printing and Finishing industry; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to apply basic math concepts (add, subtract, multiply, and divide).
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical and Working Conditions
The job is performed in a manufacturing facility with exposure to large equipment, noise, and materials related to the printing process. The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to occasionally bend, stoop or kneel.
- Ability to use hands and arms to type, reach, handle or feel.
- Ability to regularly lift/move 10 pounds, frequently lift/move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift/move up to 50 pounds.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Shifts: 8am-4pm, 4pm-12am, 12am-8am